Facilitate development of the coconut processing sector comprising of the Desiccated Coconut, Copra, Coconut Oil Processing Unit, other Kernel Products Processing Units such as Partially Defatted Granulated Coconut (PDGC), Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream, Fibre and Fibre Products manufacturing units, and Coconut Shell Product Processing units including Coconut Shell Charcoal and Coconut Shell Activated Carbon, besides from a large number of small scale industries engaged in manufacture of minor products by contributing towards modernisation and assistance in increasing efficiency.
- Promotion and regulation of the manufacture of coconut products.
- Annual registration and supervision of processing units.
- Certification for microbiological and physical quality of the coconut products.
- Identification and promotion of appropriate modern processing technologies, in place of existing traditional processes, by providing technical and financial assistance.
- Planning and implementation of modernization programs for coconut base industries.
- Desiccated Coconut Industry:
- Improvement of hygienic conditions
- Quality improvement
- Improvement of processing facilities.
- Reduction of cost of production - Introduction of energy efficient systems such as coconut shell fired boilers, bio-fuel energy boilers
- Introduction of environmentally friendly equipment.
- Introduction of metal detectors.
- Coconut oil Industry
- Prevention of sale of adulterated coconut oil with other vegetable oils.
- Promotion of manufacture of virgin coconut oil.
- Financial assistant to improve the productivity and to encourage the new comers to the industry.
- Introduction of quality assured consumer packing of edible grade coconut oil in oil mills.
- Coir Fibre
- Financial assistance for mill modernisation activities.
- Development of coir fibre informal sector. For example, distribution of coir yarn spinning machines, door mat preparation boards, and fibre.
- Improvement of coir fibre production by strenghtening the fibre extraction, finish products, and informal sector.
- Improvement of traditional technology for processing good quality copra.
- Distribution of copra kilns and copra dryers.
- Introduction of new and more appropriate technology for processing coconut kernel into white edible copra.
- Coconut sap production
- Introduction of appropriate technologies for processing of mature coconut water.
- Desiccated Coconut Industry:
- Establishment and maintenance of pilot plants for the processing of coconut products and the fabrication of experimental processing equipment.
- Establishment of waste water treatment plants.
- Manufacture of a machine to extract coir fibre from the retted as well as green husk by using locally available materials.
- Promote manufacturing of value added products for export.
- Introduction of coconut milk based new products to the domestic market.
- Promotion of coconut cream and other value added products.
- Introduction of value added new products on charcoal.
- Promotion of value addition in the fibre industry.
- Training and awareness programmes for stakeholders.
- Desiccated Coconut
- Awareness programme on preparation of HACCP manual and implementation of HACCP quality system for the DC mills.
- Training programme on manufacture of value added coir yarn and door mat production.
- Training programme on coir finished products and manufacturing proceesing industry and welfare / mat, geo-textile, rubberised coir, tapping and fancy products.
- Coconut Oil
- Programmes to direct the coconut oil millers for production of high quality coconut oil for consumers. Mainly to prevent adulteration of low quality palm oil with coconut oil.
- Six month full time course in the technical college of coconut oil and coconut based industries for the school leavers.
- Desiccated Coconut
- Activities of the authority are focused on the formulation and implementation of policies and programmes for the promotion and development of processing activities with special emphasis on the export sector under the trade liberalisation.
- Registration of millers and manufacturers of coconut products and determination of standards, terms and conditions, procedures and annual fees payable for such registration, and the removal form or restoration to the registry of any name.
- Inspection, Supervision, Regulation and Control of factories, stores, yards, buildings, premises, equipment and machinery used or to be used for the manufacture, packing, or storing of coconut products.
- Assist manufacturers of coconut products in the implementing and obtaining quality certification systems such as HACCP and ISO.
- This quality system has been introduced and implemented with an awareness programme in collaboration with SLSI for DC millers. Awareness programmes were carried out time to time for the mills who have applied.
- Planning and implementation of financial assistance schemes. Financial assistance is given by the cess paid to upgrade the processing industries, reduce the cost of production and improve the quality of products.
- Bank loan facilities for DC mills
- Refund of excess cess paid on coconut products manufactured using imported raw materials.
- Reimbursement of relief wages for workers during non production periods.
- Preparation of standards, collaboration with other relevant institutes for the coconut products as requested by the manufacturer.
- Formulation of standard specification for coconut cream powder.
- Formulation of standard specification for low fat desiccated coconut.
- Formulation of standard specification for coir fibre.
- Monitoring of activities concerning manufacture, import and export of Activated Carbon and value added Activated Carbon and also will facilitate collection of coconut shells / charcoal of the same industry.
|Telephone||:||+94 11 3288495|
|+94 11 2502502 - 4 (Sample Unit, Narahenpita)|